Common Electrical Hazards and How to Mitigate Them
The role that electricity plays in our lives is crucial. Apart from powering appliances electricity is also used to light our homes. However, when not handled properly electricity can be DANGEROUS. People who have died due to electrocution and other electrical hazards are many. Also, electricity has been the cause of damage to numerous properties. There will be a significant decline in the number of electrical deaths, injuries, and damages if people are made aware of the common electrical dangers and ways to mitigate electrical hazards. This is the right place for someone who wants to know about electrical hazards and how to avoid them.
It is DANGEROUS to use wet hands when handling electricity. Handling electrical sockets and power outlets with wet hands can lead to electric shock. Handling electrical components with wet hands can result in several cases such as death and even electric fire. Before you plug in a device into a socket or power outlet or to turn off and on switches, you should make sure your hands are dry. People also overloading power outlets which is DANGEROUS. Before plugging in devices into power sockets and outlets, you should first find out the amount of electricity the socket or outlet can handle. Power sockets and outlets are overloaded when the devices plugged into them are of high power voltage. The main consequence of overloading power outlets and sockets is electric fire.
Ensuring you do not plug in more than one power strip into a single socket is important because it prevents overloading. Contact between water and electricity is DANGEROUS and can lead to electric fires. To prevent water from coming into contact with electricity, you should avoid connecting electrical appliances near water sources. Switching of the power source at the main switch before you unplug the appliance should be the first thing to do when you realize there is somewhere that electric line and water are in contact. To prevent such things from happening in the future, you should hire a qualified electrician to repair the power line.
Some people avoid the cost of hiring a qualified electrician by doing electrical repairs in their homes on their own. Even though this is cost-effective, it is highly discouraged. Handling any electrical repairs in your house on your own is not recommended, especially if you are not a qualified electrician. DIY electrical upgrades and repairs can lead to electric fire or death when you or someone else gets electrocuted; thus, it is dangerous to conduct electrical upgrades, and repairs on your own. Poor wiring is also DANGEROUS as it has caused numerous electric fires and deaths. To prevent electrical dangers, electric cables should be coated with an insulator and wired properly.