Dean of the School of Journalism, Media and Visual Arts
The Anglo-American University announces a search to fill the position of Dean of the School of Journalism, Media and Visual Arts. Anglo-American University is the oldest private university in the Czech Republic, offering bachelor’s and master’s degree programs with Czech and American accreditation in a unique international environment to students from more than 70 countries around the world. With over 80% of students coming from outside the country, AAU is one of the most international universities in the world.
The dean will be responsible for the management of the school. This implies responsibility for the operation and quality of the study programmes, the quality of the teaching staff and its evaluation. The position involves daily contact with professors, administrative staff and students from diverse cultural backgrounds. The official language is English. It is a full time position. The dean is expected to teach two courses per academic year, supervise state examinations, advise students, stimulate faculty research activity, and pursue his own academic projects. In a team spirit, the Dean works in collaboration with the Deans of the other Faculties and with the management of the University.
Appointment to the position is for a three-year term with the possibility of renewal. The first term includes a trial period of six months.
- General management, operation and development of the school, including general welfare and discipline of faculty and students Curriculum management and development, overseeing compliance with Czech and US accreditation requirements Leadership and management of faculty Communication with students, faculty and other partners and stakeholders Organizational support of guest lectures and events Management of budgetary issues, personnel issues and physical facilities Teaching and research
- Excellent management, leadership and teamwork skills Excellent administrative skills (the Dean not only supervises but also conducts many administrative activities on his own) Advanced university degree (Ph.D.) in journalism, media or media studies Excellent English demeanor Ability to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds Dedication to education and openness to innovative teaching methods Strong education and/or research Strong communication and presentation skills Strong computer skills
- Work at a prestigious university in an inspiring palace below Prague Castle
- Multicultural and international environment
- Friendly staff and colleagues
- 8 weeks paid vacation per year, 5 sick days
- 50-80,000 CZK gross (2,000-3,300 EUR, 2,300-3,700 USD) or approximately 40-62,000 CZK net (1,600-2,500 EUR, 1,800-2,800 USD) per month for a job at full-time, depending on managerial experience and university rank (lower band for a proven research record, upper band for a full professor).
- The average salary in the Czech Republic is 40,000 CZK gross (1650 EUR, 1800 USD). Cost of living: 1 bedroom apartment 500-700 EUR/month (outside center-center) (600-800 USD); 3 bedroom apartment EUR 900-1200/month (outside center-center) (USD 1100-1400); restaurant meals 6-30 EUR (cheap meal for 2 people) (7-36 USD).
- Health insurance is automatically included.
- Work permit for this position is not required.
- Anglo-American University can provide relocation assistance. However, it does not provide for a housing allowance or contribution to children’s school fees.
Interested candidates should send their application to [email protected] Review of applications and interviews will begin after May 31, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. It is anticipated that the selected candidate will assume their position beginning in the fall semester (September 1, 2022) or spring semester (February 1, 2023).
Applications must include:
- Cover letter Diploma and/or documents confirming academic rank Up-to-date academic CV, including list of academic publications
- List of other relevant results in the field of expertise – management experience, public awareness, activity in the service of the wider community (consultation, advice, review, dissemination of knowledge or other forms of engagement), etc.
- List of courses taught and recent teaching notes (assessments)
Two reference letters For more information about the School of Journalism, Media, and Visual Arts, visit the Anglo-American University website.